1. Get some sort of graduate degree. A BA only is not enough.
2. Get someone to critique your writing and communications skills. They are critical in any job situations, particularly at higher levels.
3. Find a city or county with a high level of education; that is where job growth will occur.
4. Don’t ignore the public service, although the wages in the short term may be not competitive with the private sector in certain job categories.
5. Find a way to find out what the organizational culture is before accepting a job.
6. Never stop learning.
- Jack Underhill